Intro to ski touring
Ski touring is an incredible way to explore and travel through the mountains. Come learn the essential skills on how to move safely and efficiently on your mountain adventures. We recommend taking this 2 day course and then our level 1 avalanche course to round out your education and get you into the backcountry.
student learning outcomes
- Use of AT boot and binding
- Skin maintenance
- Introduction to avalanche transceivers (a.k.a. beacons/ARVAs)
- Skinning efficiency and setting a pace
- Kick turns and AVA turns
- Track setting
- Terrain management
- Tour planning with time plans
- Reading topographic maps
- Familiarization with GPS/Smart phone map apps
- Have fun learning while out ski touring both days, hopefully with some great snow!
This course is aimed at the intermediate to advanced skier who is looking to leave the ski area in search of quiet mountains, find untracked snow, and enjoy the amazing satisfaction that comes from earning their turns.
No prior ski touring experience needed.
Should be comfortable on all blue and most black slopes in a variety* of snow conditions within the ski area. *(light powder, heavy/warm powder, deep powder, icy, wind effected, basically everything from funky to amazing)
Course Cost: $450 (USD)
Maximum ratio 5:1
- Instructor and guide fees
Cost does not include:
- Lift tickets (sometimes we will use lifts to bring us to the beginning of a tour)